24 May 2011

Before I forget

I made this to have friends over on Sunday for dinner and it was really easy and turned out delicious!! Seriously so easy I'm just going to jot it down from memory... hopefully this is right hahaha

(from the Pioneer Woman)

Spicy Dr Pepper Pork

Ingredients:
5-7 pound pork shoulder (mine was just under 5 pounds)
1 can chipotles in adobo sauce (YAY! I can use the whole can and not have the rest sitting in my fridge FOREVER)
2 cans dr pepper (actually I ended up using three, see below...)
salt and pepper
brown sugar

Put pork shoulder in a big pot and salt and pepper it generously. Dump peppers, 2 cans dp, and a few tbs brown sugar on top (fyi mine was dark...). Cook in 300 degree oven for 6 hours, rotating about every hour (the recipe says something about leaving the fat side up for the last hour but I don't think I ended up doing this)

The meat is done when it falls apart. I checked after 5.5 hours and it was falling apart so I took it out, but mine was on the small end. You are supposed to shred the meat and then put it back into the pan with the juices, minus any fat you can skim off and warm it on the stove until serving..however all my liquid pretty much burnt off (pan still in the sink soaking...) so I shredded it and put it in a new pan with another can of dr pepper, half a jar of green salsa, and a bit more brown sugar..I think the sugar at the end made it extra yummy.

You can use the meat for whatever (cafe rio inspired salad, sandwiches maybe), but I did tacos with cheese, avocado, more green salsa, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, pickled jalepenos that I had lying around, sour cream, and white rice for in/on the side. We also ate this yesterday and it was still delish (I'm sad that there is only a little bit of pork left..maybe I'll finish it off before cory gets home from work)--good for kids and easy to cook it all day, prepare toppings, let people make their own tacos, etc. YUM!

1 comment:

The Wheelers said...

YES! YES! YES! It was fabulous! Amber, you are an amazing cook!!! I LOVE dinners at your house. Thanks for inviting us over and giving us delicious pork made with my favorite soda...you know how to make a girls day!