06 April 2011

because I agree... A LOT (and to get that gross picture of me away from the top..)

My good friend Betsey wrote this on her blog today and linked to another great blog post. I am so impressed by Betsey and her willingness to share her experiences because this is something I know mothers (ME) deal with ALL THE TIME. Why do we criticize each other? Whether veiled or obvious there is nothing to be gained from pointing fingers at someone's ability to parent in an effort to feel better about your own. But it is so easy to fall into the trap because being a mother is so important and personal to all of us. And I think pretty much everyone loves their kids more than life itself, so when someone doubts the choices we make with respect to those kids it can be devastating and beyond easy to get defensive and feel the need to jump in the fray. Whether this is in big choices families make (whether mom is going to work, stay home, have a nanny, live-in, live-out, housekeeper, whatever) or little things (pacifiers, processed foods, formula, plastic bottles, discipline, diapers, organic freaking crib mattresses that cost like $400 for crying out loud...) how much do we make choices because of what is best for our kids and how often is it about comparing ourselves to someone else? Last night I just about broke down and got WAY too upset with harrison because he refused to brush or let me brush his teeth. Was it because I was really concerned about his dental hygiene or was it because I was thinking of all the "perfect parents" I know and the fact that I'm SO SURE their kids always brush their teeth and couldn't figure out why my kid wasn't doing and where I had gone so wrong? Sheesh. Let's get over it. Here's my reminder to try. I hope I can be a better mother and a better to support to my friends regardless of what parenting paths they go down.

5 comments:

Jen Perkins said...

There are organic crib matresses that cost $400?!?

I definitely agree with you, Ambs. I must admit that I've been guilty of this in the past but I've been trying really hard to butt out of other people's parenting lately. It's just impossible to completely understand what's going on in someone else's lives.

And I've said things to people before and was proven really wrong...like when a lady at work was telling me about her totally crazy and rebellious teenager and I said that it probably came from a lack of discipline (I didn't word it like that...) but then she told me that it was because her daughter had been molested for 5 years by their babysitter and they didn't find out until years later. Yeah, I felt like an idiot.

And by the way, I don't care if you have a nanny. I was wondering how on earth you could work all the time and still spend time with Harrison and Cory. And we've had someone who cleans our house once a month since we got married!

rachel said...

Hey Amber, I LOVE this post. You are absolutely right!! I posted about it and linked to your blog. You are awesome!!

Unknown said...

http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/Organic_Nursery/Naturally-Organic-Wool-Innerspring-Crib-Mattress.htm

Bookmark that page for your next kid, right Jen?

Not that there is anything wrong with buying an organic crib mattress...I just will not be doing it at that price :)

Thanks for the comments!

betsey said...

Pamby! I adore you and admire you so much! You are SO TALENTED and SMART! I love your sweet little family and wish that I lived closer so that Nora could be Harrison's best friend (okay, let's be honest, she would probably boss him around a little).

You are doing amazing things! Seriously, AMAZING. I know how much you sacrifice and work for your family and I give you a virtual standing ovation for your work. Harrison (and Cory) are blessed to have you. And I am sure they realize it :)

XOXOXOXO

Shalise said...

Pambs you are absolutely right-every parent seems to have strong opinions about some aspect of parenting-and that's just it-however strong they are-they are truly just OPINIONS!! I've definitely had mine and hopefully never made any feel bad about them because I know I've felt slightly offended even though I shouldn't have when someone seems to be telling me I'm doing something wrong. I'm doing the best I can!!