12 May 2009

Brownies, running, and a walmart bathroom

I constantly seem to think of things to blog about. I have a running blog in my head that is eloquent and witty and somehow also inspirational. As time goes on the blogging doesn't happen and you get "catch up" blogs like this one. Here's what's up with us lately.

1. I finished school!! FOREVER!! Yay!! after three long years that at many points I thought would be impossible to get through I finished law school last week and will graduate tomorrow with the law school graduation on Friday. Even though it may have cost more money and more effort than it will prove to be worth (only time will tell), I'm proud of my accomplishment all the same.
2. We had a GREAT Mother's Day. I'm so grateful for a wonderful mother who is the most generous person I know and is constantly adjusting her schedule to watch Harrison for me so I can go to class or a meeting or take a final etc etc etc. We had my mom and Larry and Aaron and Stephanie over for dinner on Sunday and it was wonderful to spend time together as a family despite my lack of clean silverware or matching plates...(and the fact that I always want to take naps after church and never seem to have things ready when we have Sunday dinner guests). I'm also grateful for an amazing husband who went out of his way to make my first "official" mother's day special. Cory had some Fairytale brownies sent to me--I had tried them when I bought some as a gift for a women in the law function and had been raving and he remembered. AND he bought a little fondue pot and we had fondue (including the brownies) for breakfast. YUM!!!
3. Speaking of my awesome mom I was at Walmart last Friday to buy her a spider plant and somehow left my iphone in the bathroom....I realized what I had done about five minutes later but the phone was gone (and despite my thought that people who use family restrooms want to do the right thing, nobody turned it in..). Luckily my amazing mother offered to buy me another one (that I know I don't deserve--I mean, I lost it, I should have to pay!!!) as a mother's day/graduation present. I'm so addicted to that thing!! If it wasn't for my mom I'd definitely be hating life sans iphone right now...
4. Running!!! Lisa and Nick signed up to run the St George Marathon and on a whim of craziness (induced by cafe rio I suppose) Jen and I decided we would sign up too...We found out yesterday we didn't get chosen in the lottery but have decided to run the Top of Utah Half Marathon on August 29th instead. AND because it's "just" (yeah right..still 13 miles...) a half our spouses agreed to run too!! YAY! I ran a half marathon in Philadelphia about four years ago and haven't run all that much since..so it's gonna take a lot of work but I know it will be totally worth it. And prepare us for St. George next year, right cory???
5. A JOB!! (ok, sort of). I got a job working for a tax professor at the law school writing the content for an online game about taxation ( I KNOW!! SO FUN, RIGHT?? I'm not kidding, I'm seriously excited!!!). It's a summer job and the hours are pretty sparse until the bar, with a little more during August, and some "mentor" work with the game design students who will actually make the game work during the first half of the fall semester. So, even though I get new rejection letters from federal agencies what feels like daily, at least I have something (oh yeah and it's totally from home and I can work on the stuff whenever I want) for now and once I take the bar and have more of an idea of what I'm willing to take in terms of work I can start looking more seriously for the perfect job that will take us away from this awful hot weather....
6. There is probably more but that is enough for now....Oh yeah, and one of my oldest and best friends ever, who takes BEAUTIFUL pictures, was in town and rearranged her schedule to take some pics of Harrison. Here are a few, more can be found on her blog. Thanks Angela!!




7 comments:

Jen Perkins said...

Those pictures are adorable! And they comment your new backdrop quite nicely. :)

betsey said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are AMAZING Amber and I am SO EXCITED for your accomplishments during the past three years. You are INCREDIBLE!

Plus, a MARATHON! You will be amazing!

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh, where do I start?? I can't get over YOU coming HERE and me actually getting to kiss those cheeks!! (No, not yours, they're cute...but HARRISON's are ALL MINE!!)
Anyways, I LOVED this post, you sound SO good, and YOU'RE DONE!! HOLY COW a GRADUATED WOMAN...FROM LAW SCHOOL!!! So, a HUGE congratulations from Jeff and I, we really are so excited for you. And CUTE pictures of Harrison, and yay on your job!! SO GREAT...life is great. I LOVE YOU!

Kari said...

AMBER! You are AWESOME!! What great news!! Congratulations on graduating and on your new job! You seriously are amazing! AND... I am sooooooo excited to see you this summer too and get to kiss that baby boy's cheeks!! What a cutie! Great pics Angela!

Shaun and Kelli said...

Congrats on finishing school, Amber that's awesome. You were always seriously the smartest out of all of us girls back in the corner house. Harrison is soo adorable. His blue eyes are gorgeous!
I'm jealous that you are going to Cali this summer. I wish I could be there!

Angela said...

Congratulations!! I'm so proud of you for fulfilling your dream of going to law school (and our highschool's prophecy of "most likely to be a leader")! You are going to do great things in the world!!
Yay for running. I'd love to do that 1/2 marathon with you guys. Unfortunately baby 3 will be in the way then. Maybe someday...
And just to clarify, I'm not your OLDEST friend... Jen's much older than I am!! =) But yes, we did ride the bus in Junior High together, even if you did hate me then! =)
Love you!

Unknown said...

umm....I never hated you....you were just much cooler than me even then....