05 June 2009

Farewell pink monster!!


So today, for a mere $750 (ok--maybe that's a lot considering all it's been through and the huge question marks surrounding its condition) I said goodbye to my dear old 1996 dodge neon.

The car that got me through BYU. That I drove from Phoenix to Utah over and over again..with my mom, with friends, alone in the middle of the night, once with my grandpa... That broke down in Santaquin and Filmore (mile marker 147) and probably some other small Utah towns I can't remember. The car with the rims and the oakley sticker that were inherited from its previous owner that really just didn't fit on a candy apple red neon. With the spoiler that fell off during a camping trip (with Jen driving)... and was re-attached... twice. The driver door that didn't open for awhile in 2003 (I had to climb through the passenger side). The rear view mirror that fell off when I hit something while backing out of the parking garage at my apartment building sometime in '01. The car that got FAR too many parking tickets and was banned from campus.. and then banned from campus again.... Yes, that car and I have been through A LOT...

Today the Neon and I parted ways. With her ice cold ac blasting (you know the one that a mechanic told me in 2003 had a leak and would require 2k to fix..yeah right what kind of sucker do you take me for?) I drove her one last time to meet her new owners. I'm glad Harrison got to be there to share this event with me. I'm glad she lasted those three exits on the freeway. I wish I could be the one to take her to car heaven but it was time to move on and clear out the space in my garage. It's bittersweet!! I raise my diet coke to you old friend!!

6 comments:

Shalise said...

Ahhh-sad day Pambs. And the honda? Still alive? I have a few eulogies to write when you and that one part ways.

Sheila said...

HERE HERE!! I'll raise my cup to that!! I had a flash FULL of memories reading this post, and so from me to you dear pink monster...the car that drove many freshman boys out with OTHER girls while we stayed home and ate ice cream!!! The car that endured far longer than ever expected and will always remain dear to our hearts!!

Unknown said...

I didn't want to mention the whole other girls thing but I certainly though of it...(..locked out of horne 55...sleeping on couch of arch enemy...and SURE you can take my car to go get your girlfriend flowers on sunday...SICK!!!)

Unknown said...

RIP Neon- I will always remember you with the fuzzy seats. You will be dearly missed

belle black said...

good bye dear neon! i have so many memories in that car. our many drives to and from the state capitol in the dead of winter, driving from utah to az, etc. i'm getting way to sentimental . . .

Angela said...

Ahhh, so sad! So many memories with the Neon! I didn't even realize that you still had that old piece... I mean jewel. It truly is funny all of the things that happened to the car and the many times you "survived" in it. hahaha =)

Oh, I just read the comments about boys borrowing it to take girls out! HAHA I can't believe that. That was so (not) funny!!