21 October 2011

I LOVE FALL

So many pictures to post of fun things we've been doing but somehow it never happens when I actually have access to my pictures. Since I'm unmotivated in my second to last day (OR LAST--hopefully) at work I thought I'd post a recipe I made on Wednesday. I absolutely LOVE Fall and pumpkins and pie and cold weather and living somewhere where I can enjoy the leaves changing color and the chill in the air. I also LOVE LOVE butternut squash soup. Cory hates all things involving "winter" squashes but I figured once a year he was going to have to deal with it and I made some. This is a combination of a recipe from Our Best Bites and All Recipes (because I'm creative like that? No because I planned/bought ingredients for one recipe and then started making another...oops..) but I liked the way it turned out. I've made lots of butternut squash soup recipes in the past and there are lots of yummy ones out there with curry, apples, BACON, etc. This one is basic but was delicious and I like that it has some carrots and celery in it. I'm also happy to report the leftovers have been added to our "freezer meals" stash for when this kid finally comes.

Butternut squash soup
1. Cook one butternut squash in the oven with a little bit butter/salt/pepper for about 30-40 min at 400 or so untill soft.
2. saute 1 diced onion, 3 carrots, and a few stalks of celery in some olive oil and a little butter (I'm sure you don't have to use the butter but I love the combination). Add spices as you see fit--I threw in salt, pepper, garlic salt, dill, sage, a little dry mustard and lots of hot sauce (could also put some cayene pepper..it didn't really turn out spicy at all--just had a good flavor).
3. When the veggies are getting soft scoop out the flesh from the squash and mix it in (The OBB recipe has you boil the squash in the soup but I think it's easier to cook it first).
4. Add in one peeled, cooked, diced potato (I cooked in the microwave but again you could just simmer it all together until everything is soft).
5. Add 6-8 cups of chicken broth (I did 8 cups of water and maybe 6 boullion cubes and I thought it would be to thin but it turned out great).
6. Let simmer/boil until all veggies are soft.
7. Puree with immersion blender (leaving behind yummy looking flecks of carrot).
8. And the kicker (from all recipes, although it called for 2 times as much which is not necessary)--stir in 8 oz of cream cheese until smooth. I thought this made it very creamy and good.
9. Salt/pepper/etc. to taste
ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

Jen Perkins said...

Russ hates winter squashes too. What's up with that? I think this sounds delicious! PS...I WILL send your baby gift today!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you!! I will be looking for it excitedly!!! I dont' understand about the squash hatred--honestly squash soup is delcious, I can't pinpoint anything icky about it. Boys are weird.