24 July 2014

Perspective

When you're a parent you need to appreciate breaks from the kids when you get them. Sometimes I find myself wishing way too hard for some time away from the kids. I want to sit, by myself, with no one needing anything and nothing that needs to be done ( not because I'm neglecting it but because it actually doesn't need to be done) for some indeterminate long stretch of time. 

Then I wake up with three kids, a house,and a never ending to do list and I get annoyed and resentful when there is no break in sight. Ever. Since Jefferson was born four months ago we've had a total of about three hours without any kids. If our only time to relax was once every four months I think I would die. But, thankfully, there are lots of little breaks along the way. It's so important to recognize them. Last week I went to the grocery store sans kids. Afterward I got a diet coke at mcdonalds and 'had' to sit through a fifteen minute drive thru line. Bliss. Two days ago I went to the store again with just the baby. Yippeeee!! Right now I'm sitting in the car with three quiet kidlings in the back. Amazing. And then when Harrison is at school and little j takes a nap and carter is outside putting rocks and leaves into every bowl we own. So much better than a spa weekend, right?? 

No comments: