06 March 2009

All I can do is sigh...

I was hopeful when I listened to Obama's victory speech after his election. I wanted to believe (and still do..I'm an idealist...) that he had the power and courage and charisma needed to turn this country around despite not agreeing with him on a lot of policy matters. But when I think about more and more debt and endless bloated burreaucratic government programs and the prospect of 50% of the American public having no stake in their government because they pay no taxes..When I think about a president who wants to seize this moment to drive the country to becoming a european welfare state I can't help but be scared for the future and what it may hold for my son and my family. The United States is great for many reasons--and some of those include free markets and personal responsibility!!! Redistributing wealth and disincentivizing charitable giving by taking away tax benefits is NOT going to solve all our problems. Why is it that people in control get so power hungry and overwhelmed by some need to spend their "political capital" that they make STUPID decisions that hurt everyone to the point where the other side comes in and takes over in a sweeping flourish of "reform" promises only to do the whole thing over again?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123629969453946717.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/opinion/03brooks.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

2 comments:

belle black said...

amen, sister.

Camille said...

Well said Amber. I'm almost apathetic about it all because it just makes me so upset and I just don't want to be upset! When I could do something about it, I cared a lot more, but I feel powerless to do anything anymore...which is probably fine because the government will just do it for me.