20 March 2009

Obama rant..from Cory

I'm taking a media law class on Thursday nights and sometimes I think the class is just an excuse for my professor (and pretty much everyone else in the class but me) to bash Joe Arpaio, Andrew Thomas, (the sheriff and county attorney in maricopa county) the Bush administration, and anything Republican. My professor is a super nice guy and I have learned a bit about media law...but it can get old. Anyway, a week ago my professor published an opinion piece in the AZ republic about how Obama is ushering in a new era of openness, comparing him to James Madison--PLEASE give me a break--I just laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

So, here's the article

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/viewpoints/articles/2009/03/14/20090314bodney0315.html

and here's what Cory had to say:
Again the problem of the actions not living up to the words. And in a monumental way. It is incomprehensible the differences that exist in Obama's grandiose and unequivocal words and the way in which he, and those of his party who take the lead from him, governs. Promises of open discussion and dialogue ending in quiet passages of unprecedented and hyper-partisan legislation in the middle of the night without a single person in the country knowing the legislation in its entirety. Shattered promises of ethics reform at the very moments he is appointing tax-evaders and cheats into cabinet positions. Claims of putting science at the forfront of our decission making when basic and proven principles of economics (the sience of the economy) are casually being dismissed as "old ideas." Oh, he may say things that Madison believed, but he does not belive the things that Madison said. What is a man but the sum of his actions. What is character but ones actions matching ones words. If these are true, then Obama is nothing more than a liar and an opressor.

Well said honey--I would just like to add that anyone with even a bit of constitutional history knowledge knows that Madison wasn't even in favor of the first amendment or the bill of rights at first because he believed that the right to free speech was inherent in the constitution itslef in that every right not given to the government is reserved for the states, and the people. Unrealted..but I'm just sayin...

and for those of you who can't stand my political posts and just want more baby pics...I'm trying to take more pics with my REAL camera and not just my phone. While that adds up to better pictures of little harrison k..it also means that it's going to take a while longer for me to post them since they don't just automatically upload when I plug the i phone into the mac--sorry!! but don't worry cute pics of harrison at his first baseball game and other escapades (as well as pics of the car I just bought :)) are coming!!

7 comments:

Sheila said...

AHHHH! You bought a new car!!! I can't wait for pics!! I enjoyed reading your (and cory's) political views, it's the only politics I really get so thanks!! lol

As for this summer, we are going camping in Tahoe for the 4th of July weekend for a big family reunion. That's the only plans for the summer.

Unknown said...

when are you coming back from tahoe?
I'm glad you are exposed to my (biased) point of view..it's the right one anyway :)

Camille said...

Oh, he may say things that Madison believed, but he does not belive the things that Madison said.

CLASSIC line Cory. Totally agree. Plus the whole AIG distraction is driving me crazy, it just feels like a ploy to defer attention from all the pork in the bailout by pointing out a small amount of money (by comparison) that has caused so much outrage.

I guess I can just count myself fortunate that at least I'm not in your media law class. :)

Unknown said...

no way--if you were there I'm sure I would be much more gutsy about speaking my mind because I know you would back me up :)

ajehz and m said...

i like your rants. p.s.

rachel said...

So are you going to the general commencement?? Just curious.

Unknown said...

yeah, if we get tickets we'll go..I don't like him but he's still the president and 1) he deserves respect and 2) its cool to have the president as our graduation speaker